Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Past and Present - Plan B



We've started a new message series at Mainstreet Church based in part on the Pete Wilson book, Plan B. Plan B is about when your life takes a different direction than you had thought. Things like divorce, an illness such as cancer, job loss, a wayward child etc. can force us to rethink our direction and change the plans we had in mind for ourselves. As I've worked through the different weeks of the series planning our church gatherings - music, drama, videos and such, it has caused me to consider my own life, and if it's gone down the path I had in mind.

I can remember as a very young child telling my mom that I was going to be a doctor; I know... just about every kid says the same thing. When we started going on vacation to Florida and I saw the ocean, I decided I was going to be a marine biologist. And in my early teens, as I got really involved with church stuff and attended Christian school, I just knew I was going to be a missionary. Of course, all of that went right out the window (including my church involvement) when I discovered the guitar; now I was going to be a rock star!

I bought my first guitar from Staff Music on Canton Rd. in Akron in about 1974 or so - a Yamaha FG75 acoustic. The first rock song I learned all the way through was Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd; I was on my way. In 11th grade, I sold everything I had and bought an Ibanez Les Paul 59'r from Akron Music. I even paid the price on the hang tag (I never forgave Roger for that one) and I was really on my way. At some point in my blog I'll detail out my 15+ years in the NE Ohio band scene, but for now, suffice it to say that my "Plan A", becoming a rock star didn't pan out; I guess I'm living in Plan B.

"I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

I've certainly had some amazing adventures in my Plan B and long ago came to the realization that God's plan for me (my REAL Plan A) was to work full time in ministry, which I've done now since 1997. The really amazing part of this plan is that right now, music and playing my guitar are a main part of what I do for a living - hmmm.

God's plan is always better than anything we can dream up. I was thinking this morning that I never, ever thought I'd be a worship pastor at a church, it never crossed my mind, but I can tell you that I wouldn't change God's plan for anything.

So, tell me about your Plan A and Plan B - how has your life turned out for you? Please respond!

2 comments:

  1. Towards the end of high school when we're all trying to figure out what's next, I was determined to end up rich and comfortable without anyone holding me back. My plan A: Be a rich accountant living on the west coast with a house in the city and one in the mountains and a car to go with each. I NEVER wanted to get married and I definitely never wanted children. Just wanted a comfortable life where I could enjoy the things I wanted to enjoy being who I wanted to be.

    Then I was confronted with the Bible and how what was written in it is actually meant to be lived out. And I knew that I couldn't follow my Plan A and follow what I felt God showing me in His Word. I thought life was about making me happy and getting the most enjoyment out of it possible. Turns out this life is to get to know God and enjoy Him as much as I possibly can while I'm here. AND to help others do the same. Now my Plan B is helping others see what's written in God's Word to us and watching God change their life plans too.

    -Mandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Plan A was to go into the Army as a teenager and travel the world, meet new people and have a good time. Then I found out I was a pregnant teenager, so much for plan A right? Wow God had a whole new plan for me and my life! Never in a million years could I have imagined the life i am living now! God's plan is soooo much better than my own, I just handed my life over to him and he took it from there. So if this is my plan B-then PRAISE the LORD!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete