Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday Morning Doughnut & Coffee

On Friday or Saturday I'll review the upcoming Sunday morning service and jot down notes for verbal transitions in between songs or other elements for the church gathering.  It's a common practice among worship leaders (or should be) to think through what you're going to say before, after or in between songs so there is a logical flow or thread tying the songs and themes together.  This week we were coming out of the up beat song "All Because of Jesus" by Steve Fee going into an updated version of the hymn "It Is Well" as done by Todd Fields.  After a challenging week, it was pretty easy to compose the transition!

First, I haven't felt well and last week was a good example of that.  I even left work a little early on Thursday and took a sick/work from home day on Friday which is rare for me!  With that, we had the torrential downpour and melting snow which caused our basement floor to become soaked as water seeped in.  Man what a drag!  We'll probably buy a canoe or kayak and keep it tied up at the bottom of our basement steps so we can paddle over to the washer when this happens again.  The carpet in my music/workout room will probably have to come up and tile put down - right now the room is unusable and I've been wet-vacing several times a day and a fan is running 24/7. 

Which brings me back to the transition into "It is Well."  Now your thinking, "I see where this is going," and you'd be correct.  As I thought through what to say between songs I was reminded of how I haven't felt well and the disaster in the basement (among many other challenges) and immediately Jesus' words from Matthew 6 came to mind;  

Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  

Secondly, I was reminded of the story of Job - everything in his life a total loss but he refused to "curse God and die," he worshiped in spite of the hardships.   There was my logical transition into "It is Well."

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billow roll
Whatever my lot, you have taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul   

Given my personality, it's a challenge sometimes for me to take these words to heart (just ask Donna), but with God, all things are possible


No comments:

Post a Comment